Do you want to help turn things around? There are many things you can do:
A. Sign the Move On Petition:
B. Join us to protest the State of the City Address:
What: BPS Protest at the State of the City Address
When: Jan. 19th at 4:30
Where: Back of Symphony Hall on Westland Street near the Pops sign. This is where the mayor will be entering the hall.
Why: Boston Public Schools is facing a multi-million dollar deficit resulting in severe budget cuts to schools and services. Over the last two years, Boston Public Schools have seen $140 million dollars in budget cuts. This year, Marty Walsh is proposing $50 million more that will deeply impact High Schools and Special Education services. Some schools are facing a 19% cut in their overall budget.
Join us to let the mayor know that this is an unacceptable way to run a school district. Bring your own sign about the budget!
And bundle up because it is going to be cold.
Email: lewispierce at gmail dot com
C. Email your state senator and representative:
1. Read whatever you need to in order to understand the issue:
2. Go to the following website and look up your state senator and representative:
3. Send them an email like the one below.
Dear Senator/Representative X,
I am deeply concerned about the BPS budget shortfall this upcoming year. Boston Public Schools cannot operate on the limited budget that has been proposed, and it is clear that the calculations in chapter 70 are inequitable. In addition, we need more money allocated via chapter 46.
The district’s needs are urgent. Our children need your help.
(Your name, phone number, address, and email)
4. Call them and reiterate what the email says so that there is a sense of urgency to the matter.
5. Spread the word. The more people who do this, the more movement we will get.